By Angie Chang (Co-Founder & Editor-in-Chief, Women 2.0)
Women 2.0 has assembled a guide for women entrepreneurs to this year’s SXSW Interactive festivities this March 8-12, 2013 in Austin!
If you have more suggestions of good events to attend at SXSW this year, please leave a comment below.
Friday, March 8
- Friday, March 8 (9am-6pm) – Ideas Are Worthless Conference is a forum to connect, educate, and inspire every attendee towards execution hosted by Black Founders and BiTHouse at Hilton Garden Inn’s 18th Floor.
- Friday, March 8 (3:30pm-4:30pm) – Building Software-Powered Consumer Brands panel features Aileen Lee (Founder, Cowboy Ventures) and Jennifer Hyman (Co-Founder & CEO, Rent The Runway) at Hilton Austin Downtown’s Salon FGH.
- Friday, March 8 (4pm-5pm) – Startup America LIVE presents Design Revolution Panel features Alice Taylor (Founder & CEO, Makie Lab), Aye Moah (Co-Founder & Chief of Product, Baydin), Elaine Wherry (Co-Founder, Meebo – acquired by Google), Hetal Pandya (Co-Founder, Easilydo) and Ping Fu (Co-Founder & CEO, Geomagic) as moderated by Women 2.0 CEO Shaherose Charania at Startup America LIVE in Downtown Austin Hilton.
- Friday, March 8 (5:30pm-6:30pm) – The Learn to Code Movement panel features Adria Richards (Developer Evangelist, SendGrid), Noah Kagan (Founder & Chief Sumo, AppSumo) and Sasha Laundy (Education Strategy, Codecademy) at Austin Convention Center’s Ballroom BC.
- Friday, March 8 (5pm-8pm) – Women 2.0 Founder Friday hosted by Hetal Pandya (Co-Founder, Easilydo), Shaherose Charania (Co-Founder & CEO, Women 2.0) and Shruti Challa (Founder & CEO, Pinchd) at Startup America Live in Downtown Austin Hilton.
Saturday, March 9
- Saturday, March 9 (11am-noon) – Beyond Work/Life: Changing the Debate & Making Change talk by Anne-Marie Slaughter (Professor, Princeton University) and Jessica Coen (Editor-in-Chief, Jezebel) at Hilton Austin Downtown’s Salon JK.
- Saturday, March 9 (11:30am-1:30pm) – VIB (Very Important Brunch) hosted by Katherine Hague (Founder, ShopLocket) at Fogo de Chao’s North of 41 Lounge Rooftop Patio.
- Saturday, March 9 (3:30pm-4:30pm) – 100 Mistakes from Contributor to Chief Officer talk by Elaine Wherry (Co-Founder & CXO, Meebo) at Courtyard Marriott’s Brazos.
- Saturday, March 9 (3:30pm-4:30pm) – The Future of Porn talk by Cindy Gallop (Founder & CEO, MakeLoveNotPorn) at Austin Convention Center’s Ballroom D.
- Saturday, March 9 (10pm-1am) – Fullscreen @ SXSW: Reggie Watts & DJ Earworm hosted by Shira Lazar (EP/Host, What’s Trending) at Lanai.
Sunday, March 10
- Sunday, March 10 (11am-6:30pm) – Good By Global is a first-ever day of events dedicated to the local and global power of social good, technology and entrepreneurship at Austin City Hall.
- Sunday, March 10 (2:30pm-3:30pm) – Art of the Start (up) SXSW panel hosted by digitalundivided on how to launch a tech company successfully at The Hilton Garden Inn’s BiTHouse.
- Sunday, March 10 (3pm-5pm) – Rock Star Networking, Austin Edition! with Intel Capital and Blumberg Capital at Vince Young Steakhouse.
- Sunday, March 10 (3:30pm-4:30pm) – Dolphin Tank at Startup America LIVE in Room 412 at Startup Village in Austin Downtown Hilton, 4th Floor (Salon E).
- Sunday, March 10 (3:30pm-4:30pm) – Cultivating the New Minority Entrepreneur features Laura Weidman Powers (Co-Founder & Executive Director, Code 2040) and Natalia Oberti Noguera (Founder & CEO, Pipeline Fellowship) at Austin Convention Center’s Room 6AB.
- Sunday, March 10 (5pm-6pm) – There’s No Ambition Gap: Truth About Women in Tech talk by Jessica Lawrence (Managing Director, NY Tech Meetup) at Austin Convention Center’s Room 10AB.
- Sunday, March 10 (all day) – TECHmunch hosted by Babette Pepaj (Founder, BakeSpace) all day at Whole Foods.
Monday, March 11
- Monday, March 11 (11am-1pm) – Women 2.0 SXSW Meetup in partnership with Intel Capital to network and connect with influencers in tech, founders of tech startups as well as investors at The Hilton Garden Inn’s Eighteenth Over Austin (18th Floor).
- Monday, March 11 (12:30pm-1:30pm) – Ok, Women Can’t Have It All, but Maybe No One Can panel features Caroline Howard (Senior Editor, Forbes), Jesse Draper (CEO/Host, Valley Girl), Kate Brodock (Executive Director of Digital & Social Media, Singularity) and Nicole Glaros (Managing Director, TechStars Boulder) at Courtyard Marriott’s Rio Grande Ballroom.
- Monday, March 11 (2pm-3pm) – SXSW Interactive Keynote features Julie Uhrman (Founder & CEO, OUYA) at Austin Convention Center’s Exhibit Hall 5.
- Monday, March 11 (5pm-6pm) – Hacker Girls: Why Aren’t There More Women Coders? panel features Izzy Johnston (CTO, Girl Develop It) at Courtyard Marriott’s Rio Grande Ballroom.
- Monday, March 11 (5pm-6pm) – The Future of 3D Printing panel features Alice Taylor (Founder & CEO, Makie Lab) at Omni Downtown’s Longhorn.
Tuesday, March 12
- Tuesday, March 12 (12:30pm-2:30pm) – Fools Fear Failure: Designing Better Ways to Fail panel features Ashley Good (Head of Failure, Engineers Without Borders Canada) and Ela Ben-Ur (Human-Centered Innovation Coach, i2i Experience) at Austin Convention Center’s Ballroom BC.
- Tuesday, March 12 (3:30pm-4:30pm) – The Art & Science of Hacking an Industry panel features Hayley Barna (Co-Founder, BirchBox), Lynn Jurich (Founder & Co-CEO, Sunrun), Narges Bani Asadi (Founder & CEO Bina) and Tara-Nicholle Nelson (Founder & CEO, RETHINK Multimedia) at
Four Seasons’ San Jacinto Ballroom.
- Tuesday, March 12 (3:30pm-4:30pm) – Change the Ratio: Conversations with Rachel Sklar talk by Rachel Sklar (Founder, Change The Ratio) at Austin Convention Center’s Ballroom D.
Who’s Coming To SXSW?
- Amy McIlwain (President, Financial Social Media)
@amymcilwain – “leading a SXSW Mentor Session
- Babette Pepaj (Founder, BakeSpace)
@BakeSpace – “I’m hosting #techmunch Austin March 10th”
- Catheryne Nicholson (Co-Founder & CEO, MommaZoo)
@mmztweet – “MommaZoo is going to SxSWEdu to meet with educators and other entrepreneurs in Education Technology.”
- Cathy Brooks (Founder & Chief Human Officer, Downtown Dog House)
@CathyBrooks – “speaking at 11am on Mon 3/11 at the Sheraton – mindful meditation and storytelling“
- Contessa Gibson (Founder, PlusNavigator)
@contessagibson – “bringing the goods back to the Chicago women startup community”
- Desiree Kane (Founder, The PPL)
@Dbirdy – “covering nerdy things for the local paper”
- Jane Wang (Software Engineer, Etsy & Alum, Hacker School)
@janeylwang – “meeting likeminded folks”
- Jazmin Hupp (Director of Marketing, Tekserve)
@jazminhupp – “annoucing the TekStuff Prize, a $25k competition for the next great consumer tech product”
- Jeanette Cajide (Co-Founder, Blurtt)
@jeanettec007 – “flying under the radar this year. Would like to connect with other founders and share war room stories.”
- Jessica Meyer (Founder, Locate Special Diet)
@ATXglutenfree – “come try some of Austin’s tastiest bites + meet local food startups and bloggers at the SXSW Food Crawl!“
- Julija McDowell (Founder, Yuumii)
@YuuMiiAdventure – “promoting YuuMii and home education”
- Karen Bantuveris (Founder & CEO, VolunteerSpot)
@VSpotMom – “check out my conference tips“
- Kathy Bellevin (Co-Founder & CMO, Wildflower Health)
@bellevin – “looking for great developers who want to fix healthcare”
- Madelynn Martiniere (Founder & Community Engineer, The Idea Engine)
@creativetaboo – “searching for inspiring community organizers to be featured in podcast”
- Michelle Sun (Engineer, Buffer & Alum, Hackbright Academy)
@michellelsun – “meeting interesting people and spreading the word about the awesome BufferApp!”
- Poornima Vijayashanker (Founder, Femgineer)
@poornima – “I’ll be hosting a meetup for engineers, entrepreneurs, designers, and product managers.”
- Sejal Hathi (Co-Founder & Strategic Partnerships Director, girltank)
@sejalhathi – “representing young women entrepreneurs with Interact ATX at SXSW”
- Shama Kabani (Founder & CEO, The Marketing Zen Group)
@shama – “covering the event for multiple national media outlets, shama.tv “
- Simone Smith (Director of Marketing, HubPages)
@SimoneHSmith – “giving a short talk on how blogging is dead (and individuals prevail)!”
Are you a female founder going to SXSW this March?
Let us know what you’re doing at SXSW and we will add you to the above Women 2.0 Guide To SXSW Interactive 2013.
Meet Women 2.0 at SXSW Interactive 2013!
Don’t forget to RSVP to Founder Friday Austin (March 8, 6pm-9pm) and the Women 2.0 SXSW Meetup in partnership with Intel Capital (March 11, 11am-12pm) – you can find both Women 2.0 events at 2013 SXSW Interactive here – FREE RSVP!
Angie Chang is Editor-in-Chief and Co-Founder of Women 2.0, a media company offering content, community and conferences for aspiring and current women innovators in technology. Our mission is to increase the number of female founders of technology startups with inspiration, information and education through our platform. Previously, Angie held roles in product management and web UI design. Angie holds a B.A. in English and Social Welfare from UC Berkeley. Follow her on Twitter at @thisgirlangie.